Subject: Re: /bin/[ ?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/14/2002 08:14:23
On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:22:20PM -0800, John Clark wrote:

> > One of my customers decided I was charging them too much. So they
> > brought in another consultant and as part of cleaning the machines,
> > he removed /bin/[ on all the machines on the network.
>
> Hope they got their money's worth...

surely '[' is a builtin on most (all?) shells?

> Then again, very early in my unix experience, I did do an mkfs on
> the /usr distribution disk... back in the days of disk packs, and, well
> I just got confused as to which pack was in...

Back in th 1970's someone was short of space on a pdp-11 running
RSX-11M, they found a load of large files in the [0,0] directory
and, not knowing what they were, deleted them :-)

(on that filesystem, ALL blocks were allocated to a file somewhere,
[0,0] contained the allocation map and inode files)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk