Subject: nis problem
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <pollux68@free.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/13/2002 21:59:31
hi all, this time i think i posted that in the right mailing list :-)

Actually i got a really annoying problem with yp/nis services. I got two boxes, and i would like to setup a yp server so the client could use its users.

Here's what i did on the server. First i generated the makefiles in /var/yp. I created a subdirectory hell (my hostname) in /var/yp. then i launched rpcbind. then i launched ypserver, and went into /var/yp/hell and did a make. All went well, maps are created. rpcbind -p localhost shows well ypserver running.

And then on the client's side. i launched rpcbind, put hell in /etc/defaultdomain, launched ypbind and put + at the end of /etc/passwd. i did a test with ypcat. i tried ypcat passwd, and all works great, cause i get the right map from the server; i was more than optimist. so what i wanted to do is a su <user>. but i get an <user> : unknown id, as if he didn't even do a request to the server.

i am sure to be close of getting it working :)

if someone can help me, that's great.

david

--

Of course it runs NetBSD ...