Subject: Re: Netscape communicator
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/12/2002 00:05:16
> Now, every time I run the software as root I get an error message saying
> there is a lock file in the .netscape folder and that other user
> might be using netscape also.

Actually I wouldn't recommend running netscape (or any other browser)
as root.  Unless you want any remote systems to be able to seriously
compromise the security of your system.
Relying on the browser to police things isn't really adequate....
(Or you think the security of winxx is adequate)

I've thought of setting up a special user that runs in a chroot
environment just for running browsers.  That way it is extremely
difficult to break your system - 3 different sets of security to
find holes in.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk