Subject: netbsd firewall - lagging gameplay...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James Terris <shinden@sympatico.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/11/2002 14:14:27
Hello,
I've finally made the plung and set up a netbsd firewall
for my home network. I've been using redhat and debian linux
for a few years but a friend of mine convinced me that
using netbsd as my firewall would be a good idea.

So, with his help I set it up like so:

--------
| adsl |
|modem |
--------

----------
| netbsd |  eth1    |--web server
|  box   |----------|
----------          |--file server
   |                |
   | eth2           |--game server

 ------------------
 |     |     |    |
 |     |     |    |
  windows machines

I set up NAT to port forward to the servers.

Now, the problem that I'm running into is that when I try
to play a Starcraft game on battle net from one of
the windows machines any games that I try to connect
to with more than two people (including me) become so
laggy that I can't play any more. This worked before I
installed the netbsd box (I used to use a linksys router
and before that a redhat box) so it must be something
that I have misconfigured but I can't figure out
what it could be so any help would be great.

Any other information needed to diagnose this problem?

It's running on a dual P100 with 128 megs of ram. The
ethernet cards are an SMC (can't remember the chipset
as I'm writting this) to connect to the ADSL line and
two 3C905b cards to connect to the internal networks.

thx,
james

--
 Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
 they shall never cease to be amused.