Subject: Re: BillOS emulation.
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/08/2002 16:19:08
> > * WinE.  I gather that this recently started working.  The last time
> >   that I tried WinE (when it was more or less working before), the
> >   most that I could get it to do was to run the MS-WINDOWS installer
> >   for some software, and configuration seemed to assume that you knew
> >   what an MS-WINDOWS configuration is supposed to look like.  Lastly,
> >   I had the impression that I was supposed to bring over some of the
> >   .DLL files from my (then-living) MS-WINDOWS installation.  I think.
>
> Hmm, on 1.5.3_alpha/i386 with current pkgsrc, wine-current seems
> not to work:
>
> ===> wine-990328 is marked as broken:
> ===> Does not work on ELF systems.
>
> Is this really the case? I mean, ELF is pretty standard on most
> ports now.

Huh.  I guess that I mis-remembered.  I thought that it was described as
now building/working again.  Maybe the fixes were just in someone's
private set of patches?  (That rings a bell, now that I think on it.)

Well, axe WinE from the list.  That leaves the twin package and the kernel
compat_pecoff(8) option + PEACE libraries.  Are there other options that I
missing (options which don't involve installing BillOS on a (virtual or
real) machine?

twin compiles and builds.  (Hint: the executable for the emulator appears
to be ``xwin32''.  Not ``twin'' and not the obscurely-mentioned ``xwin''.)
Maybe this weekend I'll try setting it up properly and see if I can run
any of the few BillOS-targeted programs that I have.

Has anyone else been down this road already?  Any comparisons between
PEACE and twin?  Advice?