Subject: BillOS emulation.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/08/2002 11:51:41
We seem to have several options for running BillOS in emulation.  Among
them, I count:

 * compat_pecoff/PEACE.  (How well does this work?  THe last time that I
   looked into it, it wasn't clear how to get things started.)

 * WinE.  I gather that this recently started working.  The last time
   that I tried WinE (when it was more or less working before), the
   most that I could get it to do was to run the MS-WINDOWS installer
   for some software, and configuration seemed to assume that you knew
   what an MS-WINDOWS configuration is supposed to look like.  Lastly,
   I had the impression that I was supposed to bring over some of the
   .DLL files from my (then-living) MS-WINDOWS installation.  I think.

 * WinE-current.  CC: from above.  (^&

 * twin (I just saw this in pkgsrc; haven't looked at it at all, yet).

Are there other options?  (Other than installing MS-WINDOWS for real,
either on a real partition or on an emulated PC such as VMWare...)

Has anyone made an effort to determine which of these has the best present
and/or long-term prospects for usability?  Is anyone currently using any
of these with success?  Has anyone recently banged their head against a
wall with any of these and would like to share a horror story?  (^&

Do any of them require you to have an aleady-running MS-WINDOWS setup or
access to MS-WINDOWS .DLL files?  Can they run the MS installer programs,
so that one can install software, or do they assume that the desired
applications have already been installed?