Subject: Myson MTD981 PHY driver
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Bex <airhead_zoom@crapmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/08/2002 05:14:01
Hello NetBSD people,

I have recently bought a 10/100 ethernet network card which isn't recognised by the kernel.
After looking up the vendor (0x1516) and device (0x0803) IDs, I came to the conclusion I
probably have to build my own driver for it.
Of course, there's a driver disk shipped with this product which contains (oh, wonder) Linux and FreeBSD
drivers. I think writing a driver won't be too much trouble with these and the datasheet to guide me.
The network card turned out to be a Myson MTD981 (according to the vendor/device ID), sold by SafeWay.
On Safeway's website they promote it as a Realtek card, though, which I find really strange!
The shipped drivers are more generic, they are for Myson, Level 1 and some other cards. (I don't have access to
my own computer right now so I can't enumerate them all)

Now these are some questions that turned up while browsing the kernel sources: How does the ukphy driver work?
When I compile it into the kernel, it doesn't even initialise. How does the kernel know some device is a PHY?
A PHY attaches to mii, which doesn't seem to attach to anything at all, but I thought everything
has to be attached to netbsd. Shouldn't there be some kind of rule in the config file like:
mii at pci? dev ? function ?

Now I must admit I'm a total newbie in the UNIX scene, but I was hoping you could take the time to
help me out even if my questions are a little stupid.

Another thing, if I actually get started on the driver (I don't have much time so don't expect
anything too soon :) where should I create it? The sys/pci dir's TODO file says most drivers should
be more generic and relocated. Now can I just make a PCI driver which calls ukphy or another, mysonphy driver?

Regards,
Peter Bex