Subject: mfs root without using kernel's memory disk storage area?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/07/2002 15:58:21
I want the "root on" to be a memory filesystem.

Using MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT doesn't seem like it will work for me due to the
2.88MB limitation. Not enough room for mdsetimage (miscellaneous software
/ root filesystem) and kernel. I don't want to use crunchgen and/or
symlinks.

I already have a bootable CD-based system -- even with a VESA-ready X. I
am using "root on cd0a", but I want the speed of using a mfs for /bin,
/sbin, /etc, /tmp, /var. In other words, everything on mfs except /usr
(which is on CD). (I am going to use this CD for my classes, so I no
longer have to waste time installing the school's/student's computers.)

My ideas:

Build a small root image that has rc that creates a new mfs (or
memory disk) and then populates it with all the files. Then change the
"root on" to use it.

Or have "root on cd0" that  has an rc that creates a mfs and copies files
to it and then changes "root on" to it.

Can "chroot" be used to change the kernel's idea for "root on ?"?

Can I use MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT without using mdsetimage? (Point it to some
other bigger than 2.88MB image on the CD?)

Any other suggestions?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/