Subject: Re: NetBSD Questions
To: Kelley Law <kelleyl@adelphia.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/07/2002 22:02:29
On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 12:02:01PM -0800, Kelley Law wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a few question regarding NetBSD in general. I have run Linux but hear that BSD is the better hay to go. The only distro or Linux I have run is RedHat 7.2.
>
> 1. I have a Dell latitude laptop running W2k and it's Network connection is a USRobotics 802.11b wireless card. Will this card work? Do you support 802.11b?

802.11 is supported, I think 802.11b is just a speed improvement.
I don't know about this special adapter though.

> 2. Does NetBSD have a boot program, so I can select at start which OS I want to run? Or how would you install NetBSD with W2K?

Yes, NetBSD has a boot selector. The install program will propose you to
install it if you hard disk has more than one OS installed.

> 3. I have a Sparc LX running RedHat 6.2. It is setup as a in-house mp3 server. Would I see a performance increase by switching to NetBSD? The machine consists of 96 megs or ram, 24bit Sbus framebuffer, 1GB internal, 2GB external.

I don't know, I never ran Linux on sparc. NetBSD runs really well on sparc.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>