Subject: Re: NetBSD Questions
To: Kelley Law <kelleyl@adelphia.net>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/07/2002 12:56:43
--- Kelley Law <kelleyl@adelphia.net> wrote:
> 1. I have a Dell latitude laptop running W2k and
> it's Network connection is a USRobotics 802.11b
> wireless card. Will this card work? Do you support
> 802.11b?

NetBSD supports 802.11b, but as far as that card, I
don't know. Some searching is probably in order.

> 2. Does NetBSD have a boot program, so I can select
> at start which OS I want to run? Or how would you
> install NetBSD with W2K?

Yes. Install Windows first, then install NetBSD. There
is no configuration to do, it does it all by itself.
You'll get a menu when you boot asking you which OS to
start.

> 3. I have a Sparc LX running RedHat 6.2. It is setup
> as a in-house mp3 server. Would I see a performance
> increase by switching to NetBSD? The machine
> consists of 96 megs or ram, 24bit Sbus framebuffer,
> 1GB internal, 2GB external.

Last time I checked, NetBSD performed much better on
32 bit Sparcs than Linux. This could be different now,
but I'm guessing it's still true. The install is easy
and for the most part, it all works just like i386 or
any other port.

Andy