Subject: Re: Proofing HTML with Konqueror
To: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/06/2002 06:17:02
On March 4, 2002 02:58 am, Gan Uesli Starling wrote:
> ...by hand in KDE's text editor. And, alas, I proofed it only in
> Konqueror. One broken tag near the head of the document made either
> showed all below in italics, or else crashed the browser...all except
> for Konqueror. Konqueror happily fixed the tag and the document looked
> fine. So...I announced it here.

Opera has a nice feature.  If you right click on a page and go to "Frame"
there is an option to validate the HTML.  I use it all the time.  It finds
things that otherwise look OK in one browser or another.

> Alas and alak! How embarassing... I checked it last night in MSIE and
> Netscape6. Had to boot to Win2K to do that (g-r-r-r-r).

Opera is in the pkgsrc and runs on NetBSD i386 at least.

> Still. If anyone cares to proof my howto for TECHNICAL errors (I'll be
> proofing it for grammar/spelliinngg) I'd be obliged.

So I tried your page and it won't even upload it.  Not sure why but I notice
that it was missing a DOCTYPE and a character encoding and would likely not
validate anyway.  I did try the validator directly and you can see what I saw
at this URL.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fom-ah-hum.com%2Fshare%2Fgus_netbsd_ssh-ip-tunnel.html&charset=utf-8+%28Unicode%2C+worldwide%29&doctype=HTML+4.01+Transitional

One thing I noticed is what I noticed just looking at the document in Opera
that you are using non-standard character representations.  These appear as
square's in Opera.  Also you have the following line:

ppp0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

But under Opera, Netscape and Konqueror (the three I could test without
running WindBlows) it appears as "ppp0: flags=8051 mtu 1500" due to the
unknown "UP tag being ignored.

Check that URL for similar errors.  Looks like a useful page though.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/