Subject: Re: Looking for audio and video stream players
To: Michael Core <520079546242-0001@t-online.de>
From: village idiot <village_ldi0t@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/05/2002 04:52:01
Michael,

Sorry for not being specific about my needs regarding
the applications. Actually I would only use this on a
closed LAN. This is why I wonder about the server side
also.

As to quality, I would like something that takes high
quality input (to the network) wich I could re-encode
to low quality inside the network if bandwith should
decrese dramatically (or something else unforseen
should happend). This re-encoding I could for example
do at lower layers by for example doing it in kernel
mode on a trimmed node just for such purpose.

I actually have much bandwith (1Gbit ATM) at my
disposal for testing. CPU only PII-350 I think. I
would like to pump as much through this as possible to
test if the end systems would be bottle-necks and not
the network itself. It could be interresting to send
already made high quality files, or use something like
a webcam or whatnot.

If I get this working properly it could eventually
work on for example electronic classrooms, like
Lecture on Demand for instance. This is part of the
reason why I want it to reside on top of a module
stack of my own making. This to be able to avoid TCP
for example if I want. And indeed I want to avoid TCP.

The key here is low (close to no) latency.

Morten

--- Michael Core <520079546242-0001@t-online.de>