Subject: Re: Recent rumors about OpenBSD3.0 being faster than Linux & FreeBSD!
To: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/04/2002 18:29:55
(I hope you don't mind me CC'ing this to netbsd-help, but I thought
it might interest others as well).

paul beard wrote:
> this would be last night or some recent daily snapshot? I'll try it. 9.7
> crashes regularly and is gruesomely slow.

I found the 0.9.7 that was on the Mozilla site very slow as well,
not to mention having to add a few symlinks to oddly named library
versions. However, the current snapshots (mine is from Thursday
night last week), are astonishing improvements. I'm even contemplating
building it on my Sparc 5 once an official 0.9.9 tarball is
avaliable - just means I'll have to leave it churning away for a few
days!

> One question I had last time I tried to build from source: how to make
> install somewhere other than $HOME? I could never figure out how to set
> an install location.

I've not figured that one out either. I'm planning on looking at the
Mozilla site tonight in the hope that there's a packagers guide.

Chris

--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)
cwareham@btinternet.com (home)