Subject: Re: Recent rumors about OpenBSD3.0 being faster than Linux & FreeBSD!
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/04/2002 17:55:38
Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 09:10:52PM -0800, paul beard wrote:
>
>  > But to say NetBSD is slow with KDE in the mix is unfair: I came to
>
> ...right... especially when the performance of such a package is almost
> always attributable to the application code itself.  Witness the huge
> difference in performance between Netscape Navigator 4.x and Mozilla.

Slightly off on a tangent, but I've just compiled a nightly snapshot of
Mozilla (NetBSD 1.5.2 i386), and it feels almost as fast as Netscape 4
now. I've read that the Mozilla team are concentrating on size and
performance, and it really seems to be paying off. (Although building
with -O2 and without debugging symbols might be helping).

Chris

--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)
cwareham@btinternet.com (home)