Subject: Re: Looking for audio and video stream players
To: None <muc-lists-netbsd-help@moderators.muc.de>
From: Michael Core <520079546242-0001@t-online.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/04/2002 11:28:58
village_ldi0t@yahoo.com (village idiot) wrote:

> I am looking for audio and video stream players. One
> specifically just for audio would be nice.

For audio, you could use lame for encoding and mpg123, which is able to
play Icecast- and HTTP-streams, for decoding, although this might use
rather much cpu ressources. The problem is that you didn't specify the
desired audio-quality nor how much bandwith can/should be used. Especially
if you can code the network part yourself, there a uncounted
possibilities. Ogg Vorbis is a free format. Maybe low quality PCM (8 kHz,
8 bit, mono) is good enough for your application - whatever it might be.

The same with video. MPEG-I/II is probably the most popular encoding and
there are many free tools. Of course, it needs much power - probably less
than RealPlayer-formats - and much bandwith, too. For a video-phone you
would use H323.

HTH