Subject: Re: RAID Drives as Startup Drives
To: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
From: Nigel Pearson <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/04/2002 11:35:52
Randy Beaudreault asked:

> Can I startup from a RAID array of drives (once I have compiled raid
> into my kernel)?  And if so how does in interact with the booter on
> 68k Macs?

	If startup is possible, then so is Booting, although:

1) it will be a long time until the Booter can read a kernel from a
    striped or RAID UFS filesystem, so booting the kernel via netboot,
    or from a floppy or other HFS volume would be necessary, and

2) it may be necessary to pass a different ROOT_SCSI_ID value into the
    kernel, or to modify the kernel startup stuff, for it to be able to
    work out which disk has the RAID volumes. Someone who has actually
    used RAID may be able to help me here.

--
|Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au  |=93Now the world has gone to =
bed,|
|Telstra iDevelopments, Sydney Australia| Darkness won=92t engulf my =
head,|
|  Office: 9206 3468    Fax:  9212 6329 | I can see by infrared,        =
|
|  Mobile: 0408 664435  Home: 9792 6998 | How I hate the night.=94 =
-Marvin|