Subject: Looking for audio and video stream players
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: village idiot <village_ldi0t@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/03/2002 16:06:45
Hello good people!

I am looking for audio and video stream players. One
specifically just for audio would be nice.

What I want to do is to set up two (or more) machines,
and stream out audio or video (or both) from one
machine and receive on the other side. I have heard
that real player clients are free and exists for
NetBSD too I think. I have been told that server side
real players are really expensive.

Do any of you know of any solutions to what I want to
do? The key here is that I want everything to happend
real time, and also messure quality with an
application I will make or find.. Any audio or video
formats should be ok. However I would prefer a player
that could handle formats that are common, wich would
make it easier for me to generate output I guess.

I would preferably like players that are free. Could
this be difficult on server side?

Also, do anyone know if I could decide myself what
kind of "pipe" the player would use towards the
network. For instance sockets; TCP and UDP or no
sockets at all. I would eventually like to make the
application reside on top of a module tree that I make
myself for communicating witht the network layer.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Morten