Subject: Re: Mice, KVM, and X, oh my!
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Timothy A. Musson <Timothy.Musson@zin-tech.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/26/2002 11:01:18
At 12:11 AM 2/26/02 , Peter Seebach wrote:
>In message <003701c1be81$abbf8ac0$6601a8c0@attbi.net>, "Tracy Nelson" writes:
>>What kind of KVM switch do you have?  I'm using a Belkin OmniCube 4-port,
>>and I've never had a problem like you describe.  However, if I accidentally
>>unplug my mouse, then reconnect, it isn't available on any system connected
>>to the switch.  Does your KVM provide phantom kbd/mouse signals to system
>>that aren't selected?  Which version of the X server are you using?
>
>XF86 4.2.0.  It's a reasonably recent Belkin "Omniview SOHO".  It supposedly
>provides phantom kbd/mouse signals.
>
>As a data point, my Mac (which is connected via a PS/2<->USB adapter) is
>still able to use the scroll wheel, so I'm not just randomly losing the
>more complicated protocol; more interestingly, restarting X fixes things.
>
>-s

This might be a Windows only issue, but when I set up a KVM for someone
a while ago (2-port BlackBox), I ran into some out-of-synch problems. The
manual said something about the data stream being out of synch, and you
could hit a hot-key sequence to shift the data stream one byte (the max times
you would have to hit the hot-keys was three, because it was dealing with
4-byte signals, if I remember correctly). Of course, this KVM was shared
between NT and ME machines.

-Tim