Subject: Re: new installation
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/26/2002 04:15:49
.B283@snowdrop.l8s.co.uk>

from my previous message:

> Now I'm curious, could you make a Linux subpartition in there, and an msdos
> subpartition, and install DOS and Linux, booting with NetBSD boot selector?
> I can't really figure how that would be done for DOS, maybe Linux could see
> the Linux subpartition?

David Laight:

> Yes and easy.  It (should) basically just work.
> The netbsd boot selector code just sits in sector 0 of the disk.
> Unlike lilo it doesn't load anything from anywhere else.
> It will definitely load win98 (via DOS).
> I've netbsd 1.5.2 and -current running with separate disklabels....

Linux might see a BSD slice as a quasi-extended partition and see the
subpartitions as logical partitions, but I don't know if it would work without
an MBR reference.  It might be practically impossible to install any DOS in such
a quasi-logical partition.  An interesting experiment, though it might be like
playing Evel Knievel with one's data.