Subject: Re: Problems with a Hauppauge WinTV
To: Chris Lloyd <strawberry@toth.org.uk>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/26/2002 07:56:06
Chris Lloyd wrote
> I've got a Hauppauge WinTV PCI that is detected as a:
>
> bktr0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0
> bktr0: interrupting at irq 9
> bktr0: Hauppauge Model 44354 C221
> bktr0: Detected a MSP3415G-B8 at 0x80
> bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips FR1216 PAL FM tuner, msp3400c stereo, remote control.
> radio0 at bktr0
>
> (Works fine in windows, btw).
>
> In NetBSD the TV picture is okay, and the radio is okay, but the sound from the
> TV is totally distorted. If I listen really carefully I can just about tell
> that the sound is coming from the channel that I'm getting the picture for.
>
> I've tried plugging some headphones right into the TV card, so I know the
> sound card isn't at fault.
>
> I'm using fxtv, in the UK (South Wales). With the following startup options:
>
> fxtv -inputFormat pal -tunerMode antenna -defaultInput tuner -defaultAudioInput auto -defaultChannel 23 -antennaFreqSet weurope -mixerChannel mic -remoteType Hauppauge
>
> Does anyone have some .Xresources for starting fxtv correctly in the UK?

It may be as simple as selecting the correct mode. Standard PAL TV
stations send audio using a 5.5MHz IF. AFAIK, the UK employes a
different standard that uses an audio IF other than 5.5MHz.
Have you tried to play with the different mode settings.

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes