Subject: Re: new installation
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/24/2002 21:46:20
On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 03:28:25AM -0500, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> from Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>:
>
> > you don't need any mbr-partitions ("slices") at all, the NetBSD
> > mbr will set up a fake mbr nevertheless, I think, in case some
> > sick BIOSes assume they're going to boot some incarnation from
> > Redmond.  Yet you don't need that dance on non-boot disks of
> > course.  I don't have any PCish structures on the beginning of
> > disks that do not have a boot record -- they just have the disklabel
> > at sector 0 how it's supposed to be and that was it.
>
> Now I'm curious, could you make a Linux subpartition in there, and an msdos
> subpartition, and install DOS and Linux, booting with NetBSD boot selector?
> I can't really figure how that would be done for DOS, maybe Linux could see
> the Linux subpartition?

Yes and easy.  It (should) basically just work.
The netbsd boot selector code just sits in sector 0 of the disk.
Unlike lilo it doesn't load anything from anywhere else.
It will definitely load win98 (via DOS).
I've netbsd 1.5.2 and -current running with separate disklabels....

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk