Subject: Re: cdplay: problems & questions
To: Beaker <beaker1119@yahoo.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/21/2002 11:14:07
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Beaker wrote:

> Just got around to trying this little utility that comes in the base
> install. Seems to work ok but I noticed a couple of things:

I use cdplay everyday.

> a) I have to have root privileges to run it - maybe someone can point out
> work around?

Notice that it is group operator. I simply added myself to that group.

> b) If I try and put it in background after starting it interactively - i.e.
> "cdplay [RTN]" - it screws up the terminal settings - no echoing of commands

What does "[RTN]" mean?

> and single line display(!). Typing "reset" helps only for a bit: I have to
> keep resetting the terminal - its rather annoying.

I haven't noticed that. In interactive mode, I press CTRL-Z to get back to
the shell and everything seems fine.

> I'm wondering if this is something that has been fixed in -current: I'm
> running 1.5.2/i386/generic from last August; a little old but not much IMHO.

I never tried to background it with older versions, so I don't know.

> I'm not sure how I would check for revisions as cdplay isn't in the packages
> collection: is there some straightforward way of doing this?

It is only one file. Grab it via cvsweb. like:

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/basesrc/usr.bin/cdplay/cdplay.c?only_with_tag=netbsd-1-5

And download "download" for laste revision.

Then build it with:
 gcc  your/cdplay.c -o cdplay -ledit -ltermcap

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/