Subject: Re: etcp protocol
To: Murray Armfield <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Tracy Nelson <tnelson158@attbi.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/21/2002 09:21:00
From: "Murray Armfield" <murray@river-styx.org>
>        I found a reference to an etcp implementation by a couple of people
> at ucla on freebsd,but I can't find anything on the freebsd site.
>        Does anyone know how I might be able to get this thing going? I
> REALLY don't want to replace a lot of NetBSD boxes with Windoze.

I checked the ETCP page (http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~beichuan/etcp/) and it
looks like they didn't contribute the source back to FreeBSD (probably
because their implementation was incomplete).  You could contact one of the
authors and ask if they'd share their mods with you, or just implement it
yourself from the notes on their page.

Could you just throw in one Windows box to act as a gateway?  Not that I
want to inflict Windows on anyone, but I didn't see anything that indicated
that there was any sort of ETCP support for BSD (or Linux, for that matter).
In the long run, you might have fewer headaches with a Windows-based
solution.  Or maybe you could run VMWare, using a Windows virtual machine
for its device driver and communicating with a NetBSD virtual machine on the
same hardware.  I'd better stop now before I get any more ideas...