Subject: Re: Can't login locally?
To: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/21/2002 00:40:42
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Martti Kuparinen wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Richard Rauch wrote:
>
> > (b) I could not log in locally.  I tried on the ttyE0, and then flipped to
> > another console.  It prompts for a login, but then skips the password
> > prompt and asks for another login.  This is very weird.  On the OTHER
> > HAND, I can ssh into the machine and login normally.  (Well, I could.
>
> I had similar problems and it turned out to be a typo in /etc/ttys (my
> fault). Make sure your console is off if the ttyE[0-3] are on...

Thanks, but the system worked quite well previously.  The *only* changes
that I made were:

 * Swap the disk drive to the new IDE controller.

 * Boot netbsd-current.

I didn't touch any /etc files in this case.  (Though I have recently
modified ttyaction, I have rebooted it several times since, and logins
proceed normally.)

...which reminds me of something that I wanted to ask about; I'll stick it
in another thread, though.  (^&