Subject: Re: VNC thru SSH via IPNAT?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/20/2002 20:00:28
Howdy,

T'was the instrucion under "man vpn" from pkg ssh-ip-tunnel that told me to
set up a user "vpnuser" sans password together with a SSH key sans pass
phrase. That way I could do...

# vnc thinkpad start

...to start a vpn using SSH and PPP with NAT to map my VNC connections very
like for my ISP over 56K modem.

   --------------------- What It's All For -------------------------

I have three or four WinNT's in Detroit which I want to check up on from
Kalamazoo. I catagorically DO NOT want those WinNT's to be on the company
intranet. I want a single NetBSD box to stand between their LAN and the
company WAN. Those boxes are linked into MTS robotic testing machines what
run half a million bucks apiece.

Reasonis that my test lab has moved to Detroit. But I have transfered to
another engineering slot to stay behind in Kalamazoo. Yet the new help they
hired will be a long time before they're up to replacing me, alas. So either
I get this thing up and running (so I can put out fires long-distance) or
else they will have me every week making the five-hour round trip for very
little actual work.

TightVNC, unless I am mistaken is for SSH and VNC on the same server, yes?
Would not that mean having each of the WinNT's hooked into the WAN? That
would be bad. Just one of those machines hicough's, and a $10K prototype
automotive chassis will get buckled like a paper clip between a set of six
5,000 lb hydraulic cylinders. It ain't pretty, when that happens.

My plan, such as it is, is to have SSH be the ONLY daemon running on the
NetBSD box in-between. Those NT's have Hummingbird on them. I could never be
sure of turning everything off like I can with the NetBSD box. I wouldn't
sleep well of nights.

Thanks for the help,

Gan

--

Mysterious Starling -- Rarest Extinct Bird
     _

Newbie-2-Newbie NetBSD Unix How-To Pages at...
http://om-ah-hum.com/share/gus_netbsd_index.html