Subject: Re: newbie text console config questions
To: beaker <beaker1119@yahoo.com>
From: A. Lucien Meyers <a.l.meyers@consult-meyers.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/20/2002 06:39:35
beaker <beaker1119@yahoo.com> writes:

>> > Hi! Have a 21" monitor and am a text console fan.
>> How can I configure
>> > netbsd i386 text console to:
> <snip>
>> > 1. use framebuffer device (i386), preferably at
>> boot up
>> > 4. cyan on black default colours on all consoles
>> >
>> > 5. 11 usable consoles, number 12 reserved for X
>> (got 8 so far)
>> >
>> > 6. get terminal set up to map function keys
>> pc-like, e. g. when using
>> >    midnight commander?
>> >
> Think you're gonna be limited to 8 virtual terminals -
> at least w/ wscons-current. Screens are accessed via
> alt+ctrl+Fn, n=1-8. The color issue can be dealt with
> by adding some ascii-escape codes to your prompt
> configuration line in your .cshrc file (or similar).
> Do a search on the archives (last two months worth)for
> this list using "color" as keyword. I have to echo the
> previous reply: read the man pages & especially the
> manual.

By "manual" assume you mean the "Guide". See nothing in the manpages or
guide indicating settings of more than 80Cx50L possible. What have I
missed? Don't see how I can get wscons to do a PC console, only sun and
VT100 are listed. The VT100 function keys are not mapped like pc,
e. g. try midnight commander. Does nbsd i386 grok framebuffer device,
yes or not?

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP Key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15