Subject: Re: Off-Topic -- Modem Alert
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/17/2002 22:48:27
On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 04:54:11PM -0800, Beaker wrote:
> > [ Sad tale of analog vs. PBX deleted ]
> >
> > Don't know whether you're luckier than me or not.  On my first job I
> plugged
> > my new  MultiTech 1200 (yes, this was Back In The Day), into my PBX port.
> > The $400 modem was just fine, but I blew out a $1200 four-port card in the
> > PBX.  I quickly hid the evidence, and told my boss that I didn't think the
> > modem would work with our PBX, and we should get an analog line for it.
>
> Since you can't visually tell them apart, I'm wondering -  are there any
> inexpensive diagnostic devices available for testing RJ11 ports?  By
> inexpensive, I'm thinking something along the lines of those three-prong
> electrical outlet testers - typically $4-$8. Would be real handy it seems...

I burst out laughing at this, too.  Insufficient empathy, I guess.
They must have made those old Multitechs with iron wire.

Question to people who know:  What about an ordinary $10
run-of-the-mill phone as canary in the PBX mine?  I'd think a phone
would be 1) passive and 2) tolerant compared to a PC Card modem.  Plug
it in, listen for tone; unplug quickly if you don't hear one?

Gan, was that an RJ-11 jack, four wires?  I thought PBXes use RJ-45
jacks, and I would have been burned, too.  Just curious.

--jkl