Subject: Re: Off-Topic -- Modem Alert
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Beaker <beaker1119@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/16/2002 16:54:11
> [ Sad tale of analog vs. PBX deleted ]
>
> Don't know whether you're luckier than me or not.  On my first job I
plugged
> my new  MultiTech 1200 (yes, this was Back In The Day), into my PBX port.
> The $400 modem was just fine, but I blew out a $1200 four-port card in the
> PBX.  I quickly hid the evidence, and told my boss that I didn't think the
> modem would work with our PBX, and we should get an analog line for it.

Since you can't visually tell them apart, I'm wondering -  are there any
inexpensive diagnostic devices available for testing RJ11 ports?  By
inexpensive, I'm thinking something along the lines of those three-prong
electrical outlet testers - typically $4-$8. Would be real handy it seems...

Beaker - now staring suspiciously at his phone jack ~B^|>