Subject: Re: Why /dev/lp?
To: Doctor Memory , <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/16/2002 17:02:01
Are you sure that you have lpd running?  It's turned off by default, I
believe.  You can manually start it, or add something like this to your
/etc/rc.conf:

lpd=YES
lpd_flags=""   # Disable -s option from defaults/rc.conf; support remote
               # print-jobs.

By default, lpt_flags has a "-s", which makes it ignore the network.  In
my case, my NetBSD box connects directly to the printer via USB
(-=>parallel-adaptor-=>printer), and I want to print from my other
computers painlessly, so I removed the "-s" option.

In general, it's probably best to leave the "-s" in there if you don't
want your computer to act as a network print server.  (There was a recent
(2 months ago?) security alert re. using lpd as a network server, I
believe.)