Subject: Re: Off-Topic -- Modem Alert
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/16/2002 21:25:56
As for connecting analog to digital... Well, I'd heard
of PBX phone systems, of course. But I would have
assumed there'd be some distinction, some marking or
other indication. There were none.

And...the wiring and plugs were exactly the same, just
exactly as at another plant owned by the same company
where I've plugged my modems in for several years.

For what it's worth, I've an AAS degree in Electronics:
GPA 3.96 no less. And I've twenty years experience in
the field. Always it had been the case that incompatible
systems could not be physically plugged together with
identical connectors. There would be a re-arrangement of
pins, or a prong, or some such obsticle to prevent any
but a total goon from making so easy of a mistake.

I told my boss, who immediately remarked that his own
modem had similary taken a hike. Which was the point of
my prior alert. You can't necessarily tell a PBX digital
system from an analog line. There are no markings.
There is no sign. No difference in the plugs and jacks.
You have to ask, is all.

Was hoping to save someone else from having to shell
out a hundred bucks.

Whiningly yours,

Gan

--
Mysterious Starling -- Rarest Extinct Bird
     _

Newbie-2-Newbie NetBSD Unix How-To Pages at...
http://om-ah-hum.com/share/gus_netbsd_index.html