Subject: Re: Just some obviously newbie questions....
To: sfalken <sfalkenx@hotmail.com>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/13/2002 22:49:15
On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 09:40:48AM -0800, sfalken wrote:

>    Alright,  got  some basic newbie questions here, that I'll probably be
>    flamed mercilessly for

You might get flamed for answering questions wrong an irritatingly large
number of times a week for weeks on end. You won't get flamed for asking
newbie questions, especially on netbsd-help.

>    1)   where in the rc files do I put the ifconfig and route commands in
>    order  to  setup my NIC?   because doing it manually every time I boot
>    is  getting  a  bit  tiresome.   And what form should that config file
>    take?    I created a file /etc/ifconfig.fxp0  (I think) and I just get
>    error messages from DMESG about invalid commands.

The /etc/ifconfig.whatever files contain arguments to the ifconfig command.
For example, here's my /etc/ifconfig.de0 (I have a de0 card instead of an
fxp0 card):

192.168.192.9 netmask 255.255.255.0 media utp
209.42.217.33 netmask 255.255.255.240 alias

If you can use ifconfig by hand then you are all but golden.

>    2)  How do I mount my FAT32 partition? I took a look at FDISK, and the
>    partition  shows  up  fine,  but  I  really  don't  see  it when I run
>    'disklabel wd0'

Mmmmm, sorry, I'll defer to a i386 expert.
      'Concerns about "rights" and "ownership" of domains are inappropriate.
 It is appropriate to be concerned about "responsibilities" and "service"
 to the community.' -- RFC 1591, page 4: March 1994