Subject: Re: how do I
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/12/2002 22:44:44
On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 08:12:41PM -0600, DJ M wrote:

> set the time and date for my i386 machine so it shows the correct
> local time? I'm a greenhorn at this so please make it as simple
> as possible, I'm still scared of vi.

Shiratil,

I don't really think you're "scared" of vi.  I think that's an
exaggeration.  :)

Do you want to do this so you can dual-boot into a monopolistic
brain-dead Redmond-based GUI sometimes?  I used to.  Really, it's
easiest to lie.  I set my hardware clock to GMT, set the TZ symlink
the way NetBSD wanted it, and then told anything else they were
in London (approximately).  NetBSD and ntp *do* care, at least a
little, unless you want to recompile the kernel, and DOS-based systems
just don't, as far as I can tell.

(Anyone paying close attention to your email sending times
might be confused, though....)

HTH.

--jkl