Subject: Re: disktab & different ports
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: None <collver@linuxfreemail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/12/2002 12:10:42
On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 09:48:02AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, David Laight wrote:
> > > I am using an external hard drive with a mac68k NetBSD system, and I would
> > > like to try mounting it from an i386 NetBSD system.  The i386 system does
> > > not find the disklabel, apparently because on i386 the disklabel is stored
> > > in a different location on the disk.  (I'm guessing it is specified in
> > > /sys/arch/i386/include/disklabel.h)
> > I suspect, but am not certain, the the i386 port REQUIRES the 'dos'
> > partition table to be present?
> > Or maybe it doesn't like the byte reversed disklabel?
> There's probably no BSD disklabel on the mac68k disk at all. The
> disklabel is faked, on the mac, from the Apple partition map. You could
> try to write one, with "disklabel -r -R protolabel", using the output
> from "disklabel" on the mac as the protolabel, and hope it doesn't trash
> the Apple Partition map.

I have tried this.  It allowed me to mount the filesystem and list the
contents of the root fs.  But when I tried to write something to it, my
i386 box panicked and rebooted.

> Does "disklabel -N -R protolabel" do that? If it doesn't, I think it
> would be good if it did.

Unfortunately it will be a while before I am willing to try.. I am using
the disk as storage space for a kernel build right now.

Thanks for the reply!

Ben