Subject: Re: disktab & different ports
To: David Laight <dsl@l8s.co.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/12/2002 09:48:02
On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, David Laight wrote:

> > I am using an external hard drive with a mac68k NetBSD system, and I would
> > like to try mounting it from an i386 NetBSD system.  The i386 system does
> > not find the disklabel, apparently because on i386 the disklabel is stored
> > in a different location on the disk.  (I'm guessing it is specified in
> > /sys/arch/i386/include/disklabel.h)
>
> I suspect, but am not certain, the the i386 port REQUIRES the 'dos'
> partition table to be present?
>
> Or maybe it doesn't like the byte reversed disklabel?

There's probably no BSD disklabel on the mac68k disk at all. The
disklabel is faked, on the mac, from the Apple partition map. You could
try to write one, with "disklabel -r -R protolabel", using the output
from "disklabel" on the mac as the protolabel, and hope it doesn't trash
the Apple Partition map.

> > Is there a way to update the disklabel only in the kernel, and not write it
> > to disk?

Does "disklabel -N -R protolabel" do that? If it doesn't, I think it
would be good if it did.

Frederick