Subject: Re: Shared object "libXext.so.6" not found
To: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/07/2002 12:22:25
On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Mipam wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 11:45:32AM +0000, nesti wrote:
> >
> > Shared object "libXext.so.6" not found
> >
> What libs can be found is determined by which path's ldconfig
> scans at boot. Plz check whether /usr/X11R6/lib is
> in /etc/ld.so.conf

Shouldn't be necessary. The "so.6" clues you that we're talking about
ELF binaries. ELF executables are supposed to encode the library run
path in the binary, but they're not always built correctly.

> To see what libs can now be found you may type:
>
> strings /var/run/ld.so.hints or type ldconfig -r

Again, that's only for a.out, and even on a.out, it doesn't show the
libraries that would only be found by searching the embedded path.

Better, try "ldd /path/to/binary". If many of the X libraries show up as
"not found", try setting "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" to "/usr/X11R6/lib" or
similar. Since you usually start a window manager in ~/.xsession, which
runs the system (Bourne-style) shell, try adding

	export LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/usr/X11R6/lib'

before you invoke the window manager.

Frederick