Subject: Re: sysctl & process limitations
To: Randy Arabie <rrarabie@arabie.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/05/2002 16:39:49
On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 08:34:34AM -0700, Randy Arabie wrote:
> You mention that, mysqld AND mysql.  You will note above that when I checked mysqld with fstat,
> there were only 64 files open.  That, coincidentally, is the default proc.curproc.rlimit.descriptors.soft
> setting.
>
> Does mysqld fork they mysql process, which may not be inheriting the limits set for mysqld?
>
> Can I add a line in /etc/sysctl.conf to allow all processes to have a greater default soft limit for
> descriptors?

The sysctl stuff should be enouth. Did you check that the values have really
been raised ?

The 'safe_mysqld' script I use has an option to raise the limit:
/usr/pkg/bin/safe_mysqld --open-files-limit=256

Anyway the error code doesn't match a per-process limit but a system limit.
This is why I would use ktrace to check what the error really is.