Subject: Re: Regarding make build for netbsd....
To: sucho2 <sucho2@vt.edu>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/04/2002 16:52:58
sucho2 <sucho2@vt.edu> writes:
> Does running
>
> #sh build.sh in /usr/src build and installs or do I have to do "make
> install" to actually install the freshly compiled netbsd src?

Read BUILDING, and pay close attention to DESTDIR.

And remember, always install a new kernel BEFORE rebuilding userland,
or new syscalls may be called by userland without the kernel having
them, leading to Serious Bad Mojo.

> Also, how come netbsd doesn't automatically update the "uname -a" after you
> built and installed from the current sources?

uname extracts information from the kernel. You expect it to change
only when you reboot.

> I've originally had  NetBSD-1.5ZA and after the CVSUP, building from
> source and installation done,
> I expected to see something like, NetBSD-current or something like that.  But,
> instead, uname -a still gives NetBSD-1.5ZA.  Do I need to specify the name of
> the release in mk.conf or something?

-current kernels are version 1.5ZA at the moment. Presumably, when an
 interface next changes they will be 1.5ZB.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com