Subject: Re: Wireless adventures part 1 - failure - part 2 - failure
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/03/2002 20:04:15
--- "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@wasabisystems.com>
wrote:
> Use Yagi antennas. You can even make them yourself
> from old pringles
> cans. No joke. There are lots of other cheap
> directional antennas you
> can get, too -- poke around the net a bit.

Yeah, there was some discussion about this last week.
Check:

http://www.d128.com/wireless/

Hilarious story. I think Mr. Stump posted this one but
I'm not sure.

Well, I tried the firmware hack and the first one went
well. I even used them for a while to make sure they
worked OK. So when I tried it on the second one,
something broke. I don't know which one, but one of
them seems to be toast as far as the RF part. I can
still ping the ethernet part, but they won't talk
wireless anymore. That's what I get for firmware
hacking! Tried re-flashing the firmware, putting
everything back to stock... No dice. I'll keep trying,
but I think I'm stuck. I may have to buy another one.

I don't know if the antennas are going to be feasible,
but I may try. Burying a phone line and using a rj-11
style network card may be a better option at this
point. Don't know. Thanks for everyone's help.

Andy