Subject: RE: unable to connect using sftp
To: Joe Chin <yardie@prod19.bsi.vt.edu>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/01/2002 14:36:04
On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Joe Chin wrote:

> THe only error I get is from the SFTP program on my workstation. I tried

which is?  for commercial-ware, I find Vandyke's "SecureFX" works well
with OpenSSH.  And of course, the people who make CuteFTP have SFTP
support as well.

> sftp localhost but it couldn't locate the program. Is this installed
> somewhere else besides /usr/bin. I doubt it would be in /usr/sbin but I

in the case that you can't find a binary, try:

# which sftp
or
# whereis sftp

...if locate is installed, and the database is up-to-date, you can:

# whereis ftp

But in this case, sftp is definately in /usr/bin*

bash-2.05$ ls -la $(which sftp)
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  46664 Aug 17 17:18 /usr/bin/sftp

> checked there too. I also tried to restart sftpd but there is no mention in
> the manpages on sftpd. Is this an option that should have installed with

...sftp is a libexec process that's spawned my sshd on demand.  It does
not run as a seperate daemon.  Try setting the debug level in your
sshd.conf file to "DEBUG" and restart it.

-lava

> system or through an additional package?
>
> Joe

--Brian

 ----