Subject: Re: make build fails everytime
To: None <mipam@ibb.net>
From: John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/31/2002 19:51:14
Am Donnerstag den, 31. Januar 2002, um 17:55, schrieb Mipam:

>> This goes alot further but eventually ends with errors!  Anybody
>> successful at
>> building netbsd from source?
>
> Sure, all the time ... though, it might depend what kind of source
> your're
> trying to compile. On all the stable and good shape machines no
> problems.

Well, this last week has not been good for using the cvs'ed sources. The
last
successful 'evbarm' compile that I had was around the 17'th. I tried
building
for a i386 (host...) and the thing bombed at building floppies with not
enough
space on the vnconfig'ed ramdisks.

The most recent attempt to do evbarm crached on trying to compile
'refer'...

But I'll try again shortly...

> I have one machine which contains some crapped hardware and
> so i receive the message "internal compiler error" sometimes.
> Nothing wrong with the source, just with my hardware in my case.
>
> If you downloaded the most current source ... well, it can occur
> that some stuff perhaps wont compile.
> If you download the netbsd-1-4 or netbsd-1-5 source it'll compile
> fine, for those are stable branches.
>
> Though some hints when wishing to compile netbsd from source.
> - First build a new kernel from the downloaded source
>   and reboot netbsd using that kernel.

I tried that on  '1.5.2' from the distribution CD's install. The make
depend
pass failed with numerous duplicate label errors for the N<this or that
device>
#defines...

> - in /usr/src do: "find . - type l -name obj | xargs rm"
>   which basically searches the entire source tree for any existing
>   object links and removes them.

Basically I start with 'rm -rf src', then 'tar zxf
Archives/NetBSD.tar.gz'
(having cvs'ed and tared the world elsewhere in the universe), then

cd src
./build.sh [-m evbarm]-T /usr/local/netbsd-tools -D /export/<target> -R
/export/<target>_release

This has worked for building an arm target, but not for a i386, since I
didn't try
this until this week...

> - Do "make cleandir" after.
> - Now check that /usr/obj exists and do "make obj"
> - Last step: "make build" :-)

I've been using the build.sh command to set up the environment and make
the underlying execute commands.

> Though it'll always be a good idea to read the comments in the Makefile
> of /usr/src.
> Good luck building netbsd.

Perhaps tonight...