Subject: Re: "Preserve" option in installation disk!
To: Sung N. Cho <sucho2@vt.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/29/2002 21:12:18
On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:22:16PM +0000, Sung N. Cho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've liked the new snapshots of NetBSD including 1.5ZA owing to the fact that
> installation floppies have the "PRESERVE" option, meaning skipping the
> formatting of that particular partion, say /home.  However, I tried to
> install 1.53_ALPHA and the floppies for that version doesn't include the
> "PRESERVE" option.  It tries to format all the partitions, including my /home
> directory!  Is this an accident that "PRESERVE" option was left out or will
> it never appear in the installation floppies again?

Keep in mind 1.5.3_ALPHA only contains bug fixes and minor enhancement
over the last release, when -current has all the new features.
So you'll have preserve in 1.6 but not 1.5.X

> The only way for me to preserve my /home partition after fresh install is to
> have only create all other partitions except the /home, i.e., untouching the
> portion of disk where /home is and after NetBSD system is installed, add in
> the /home partition.  The only problem is, I don't know how to add new
> partition after NetBSD is installed and running.  I read the disklabel
> command, but it doesn't quite help me to understand its full usage.

'disklabel -e wd0'

> Suppose my /home partition on hard disk starts at say, sector 8181810 or
> cylinder 8658 and runs through the end of the disk, how do I add new
> partition with beginning at sector 8181810 or cylinder 8658 and runs through
> the end of the disk sectors or cylinders?

In the editor, add a partition which starts at 8181810 and of size
"size of the disk" - 8181810

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>