Subject: "Preserve" option in installation disk!
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Sung N. Cho <sucho2@vt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/29/2002 12:22:16
Hi,

I've liked the new snapshots of NetBSD including 1.5ZA owing to the fact that
installation floppies have the "PRESERVE" option, meaning skipping the
formatting of that particular partion, say /home.  However, I tried to
install 1.53_ALPHA and the floppies for that version doesn't include the
"PRESERVE" option.  It tries to format all the partitions, including my /home
directory!  Is this an accident that "PRESERVE" option was left out or will
it never appear in the installation floppies again?

The only way for me to preserve my /home partition after fresh install is to
have only create all other partitions except the /home, i.e., untouching the
portion of disk where /home is and after NetBSD system is installed, add in
the /home partition.  The only problem is, I don't know how to add new
partition after NetBSD is installed and running.  I read the disklabel
command, but it doesn't quite help me to understand its full usage.

Suppose my /home partition on hard disk starts at say, sector 8181810 or
cylinder 8658 and runs through the end of the disk, how do I add new
partition with beginning at sector 8181810 or cylinder 8658 and runs through
the end of the disk sectors or cylinders?

Yours sincerely,
Sung N. Cho,
Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2002.