Subject: Re: new and asking
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <cryptoretro@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/28/2002 20:01:11
Hello joerg,
hopefully I'm not out of line by replying to your
request, as I am very new to NetBSD myself. However,
this sounds similar to the problem that I had setting up
X on my i386 system as well. I have installed Linux
countless times, and I noticed on NetBSD (at least mine)
you cannot just blow through xf86config like you can on
Linux. I tried for a couple of days to get X to start,
and also kept getting a "mouse" error, until I noticed
that when xf86config asks for the location of the mouse
it was incorrect, mine defaulted to /dev/mouse so I
tried /dev/wsmouse (or wsmouse0 etc) and that worked.
You might want to read up on the "man wscons,wsmouse" as
it has quite a bit of info on how BSD handles keboard
and pointing devices. Anyhow, I hope this helps. If not,
I know that any of the more experienced users on this
list will know. see how it goes :)

Erik
cryptoretro@att.net