Subject: Re: kernel optimizations
To: Sung N. Cho <sucho2@vt.edu>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/28/2002 20:21:23
Sung N. Cho writes:

>Here's my new, modified mk.conf:
>CFLAGS+=-O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686
>CXXFLAGS=-O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686
>COPTS+=-O2 -mcpu=i686 -fexpensive-optimizations -ffast-math -msoft-float \
>		         -fmemoize-lookups -fthread-jumps -m486 -fomit-frame-pointer \
>			 -finline-functions

I personally would leave the optimizations at -O2, which does about
all of the above except inline-functions (which might be one of the
things which could cause problems, or bloat the code).  Dunno about
the soft-float thing or how architecture-specific options weigh in.
-m486 or possibly -m686 should be relatively safe but don't quote me
on that.  In any case, trust me on that that you wouldn't notice
any difference in system performance.  You're free to experiment and
share your results with the mailing list, however :)

  --mkb