Subject: Re: OT: Wireless networking help - Problem solved?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/28/2002 13:48:13
"James K. Lowden" <jklowden@schemamania.org> writes:

> 3Com's site says 802.11b doesn't go through walls, not even
> sheetrock.  They say the signal bounces off walls.

Definitely the signal gets worse as there are more walls to go
through, but in my experience at least, I was able to go through two
sheetrock walls within my house, and it also worked when I took my
laptop down three floors to a neighbor's apartment - again this is
sheetrock and hardwood, not cinder blocks.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the APs have better antennas
(and stronger signal, I think) than the little PCMCIA NICs do.

Still, if you have no other use for the APs if the experiment fails,
you might want to buy them from some place that has a liberal return
policy ;-)