Subject: Setting up pppd. Erik
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <cryptoretro@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/28/2002 02:46:10
Hello to anyone interested,
I am a newbie to NetBSD. I have just installed NetBSD
1.5.2 i386 onto an Athlon K7 650. I am having a tough
time getting pppd to work properly. I have followed
instructions, from two different web sites. The online
service is AT&T, and I am using a dial-up account with
CHAP authentication. I have checked their support site at
www.wurd.com which has information on Linux (command line
and GUI), and FreeBSD. Also I have checked the site at
both NetBSD info sites which link to:

www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/ppp.html
www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/nbsdeng/chap-pack.html

That said, I have attached the files that both sites
describe and configure. The results from the first site
(giganet)enabled me to activate the modem, and the code
for those files are below less the and my message is at
the bottom of all of these files:

/etc/resolve.conf
# This is the resolve.conf which holds information for
DNS used by the system
# to obtain an IP address for the current session.

nameserver 204.127.129.1
nameserver 204.127.160.1
domain worldnet.att.net
lookup bind

/etc/ppp/options
#
#
#These are the options for ppp.
#
#

passive
crtscts
defaultroute
lock
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 10
netmask 255.255.255.0
domain worldnet.att.net
mtu 1500
name 285152932@worldnet.att.net
disconnect /etc/ppp-down

/etc/ppp/ppp-up
#!/usr/pkg/bin/bash
#/etc/ppp/ppp-up

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/tty01 57600 connect '/usr/sbin/chat
-v "" ATZ OK ATDT*70,####### CONNECT'
\
crtscts defaultroute noipdefault modem remotename
*.worldnet.att.net user mark

debug

/etc/ppp/chap-secrets
##########@worldnet.att.net*##############

The following files are from the mclink site.

/etc/nsswitch.conf
#
$NetBSD: nsswitch.conf,v 1.5 1999/10/24 12:36:52 lukem Exp $
#
# nsswitch.conf(5) -
#
name service switch configuration file
#

# These are the defaults in libc
#
group:
	compat
group_compat:
nis
hosts:
	files dns
netgroup:
files [notfound=return] nis
networks:
files
passwd:
	compat
passwd_compat:
nis
shells:
	files

# List of supported sources for each database
#
# group:		compat, dns, files, nis
# group_compat:		dns, nis
# hosts:		dns, files, nis
# netgroup:		files, nis
# networks:		dns, files, nis
# passwd:		compat, dns, files, nis
# passwd_compat:	dns, nis
# shells:		dns, files, nis

The connection script

/etc/ppp/peers/att
#!/usr/pkg/bin/bash
#/etc/ppp/peers/att

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/tty01 57600 connect '/usr/sbin/chat
-v "" ATZ OK ATDT*70,#######'
\
crtscts defaultroute noipdefault modem remotename
*.worldnet.att.net user mark

debug

The Chat file

/etc/ppp/peers/att.chat
#/etc/ppp/peers/att.chat

ABORT BUSY

ABORT "NO CARRIER"

ABORT "NO DIALTONE"

ATZ
"ATDT*70,#######
CONNECT"

I'm sorry for creating such a huge message, but I figured
that you might want as much information as possible.
With the first setup, I am able to activate the modem,
and dial-in, but I cannot get keep the connection for
more than about 20 seconds, which I suspect my have
somthing to do with the authentication, as when I start
Lynx, it gives an error that says it cannot find the
nameserver or local address. The other configuration does
not even connect so I have no clue what the problem is.
Hopefully this will now scare any of you off. Thank you
for your time. Erik :)