Subject: Re: mirgrating from BSDi
To: Ike Bailey <baileys@mymail.emcyber.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/27/2002 16:27:43
--- Ike Bailey <baileys@mymail.emcyber.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to mirgrate from BSDi. The first think
> that I would like to do is to backup the servers to
> a system running NetBSD.  Could tell me the best way
> to do this? I was thinking of using ftp to tranfer
> the files, because I can't put any more software on
> the Boxes running BSDi. Is there a easy way to
> transfer everything from the BSDi boxes to the box
> running NetBSD using ftp?
>
> Thanks for your help

Well, there's a whole lot of ways to do this isn't
there?

My #1 way is to either dump or tar to tape. That way
you have all your files on a cheap meduim, and they
will still be there in case you hose something up and
don't realize it until later. Burning off to CD is
another good way, although CD's are quite annoying in
that they are slow to write and don't hold much data
(even my ancient DDS2 DAT holds up to 8 gig, but it's
as slow as a CD burner...).

Another slow but fairly trouble free way to do it is
over NFS either as a client or a server (depending on
which end you start from).

Of course, if you have enough space on each filesystem
to tar it up then ftp it, that's quite fast. I think
theres a way to use tar or pax or cpio to pipe the
data across the network (with rcp or something? Don't
remember) which would be quite fast as well.

So ask yourself:

o How much time do I have?
o How much disk space do I have?
o How certain do I have to be that the data is OK
after the move?
o How fast is my network?

Before you go on. Again, writing the data to tape,
verifying the tape, and clicking the write protect tab
is quite a safe way to do it.

Andy