Subject: Re: Apache + php4 + mysql (fwd)
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Randy Arabie <rrarabie@arabie.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/27/2002 15:24:55
On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> Did you use pkgsrc to buld perl & apache?

Yup.  I installed the base system (NetBSD 1.5.2) from an ISO
downloaded in December.

Then, I downloaded the pkgsrc tarball this past week.  I've been
building everything from that.  I grabbed the tarball from the 1.5.2
tree on the netbsd.org site.

> > How?
>
> Usually via "make install" in /usr/pkgsrc/www/apache. :-)
> You may be running into something that is not yet supported on the Alpha
> platform.  Or it is not working in the pkgsrc you installed.

That's how I built apache, php4, OpenSSL, and mysql.  However, it
apparently didn't build mod_php4.  I can't find a mod_php4.so on my
system.  So, this morning I figured out that ap-php4 was there to build
mod_php4.  But when I tried building it I get an error that seems to
indicate that Apache wasn't build with DSO support.

I guess I need to edit a Makefile or config file and rebuild Apache with
DSO support.  I'm just not sure which Makefile or config file that would be.

> I installed apache / php4 / ap-php4 / mod_ssl fresh from pkgsrc on a new
> -current i386 machine just yesterday and it is working.

Maybe the order matters.  I could go back and rebuild each in the order you did.

> You might consider updating your pkgsrc to the latest on ftp.netbsd.org.
> The following commands will show you if your package was installed with
> dynamically loaded modules:
> $ pkg_info -L apache | fgrep .so
> $ pkg_info -L perl | fgrep .so

When I do that for Apache there is no mod_ssl.so or mod_php4.so.  I did build
the OpenSSL package, thinking that would build mod_ssl, but it didn't.  So, I
see I've got to build ap-php4 and ap-ssl.  But, I'm having trouble with both.

ap-php4 says Apache doesn't have DSO support and ap-ssl says Apache doesn't
contain Extended API (EAPI).

> > That's my only grip with the pkgsrc method thus far.  I can't seem to
> > find any direction for changing compile-time options.
> >
> > Where do I find that?
>
> Look at packages(7), mk.conf(5), and /usr/pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.defaults.mk.
> If there is not already a knob for the change you want to make, you can
> just manually edit the package's Makefile and add a CONFIGURE_ARGS+=
> statement.

I checked /usr/pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.defaults.mk, no options regarding DSO
support or EAPI.  I guess it will have to be for the packages Makefile.

Thanks for your help Andrew.
--

Cheers!

Randy

Randy Arabie
GnuPG Key Info --

 Fingerprint: 7E25 DFA2 EF72 9551 9C6C  8AA6 6E8C A0F5 7E33 D981
 Key ID: 7C603AEF
 http://www.arabie.org/keys/rrarabie.gnupg