Subject: Re: mirgrating from BSDi
To: Ike Bailey <baileys@mymail.emcyber.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/27/2002 12:56:50
On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 01:00:19PM -0700, Ike Bailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to mirgrate from BSDi. The first think that I would like to do is to backup the servers to a system running NetBSD.  Could tell me the best way to do this? I was thinking of using ftp to tranfer the files, because I can't put any more software on the Boxes running BSDi. Is there a easy way to transfer everything from the BSDi boxes to the box running NetBSD using ftp?
>
> Thanks for your help

If you have ssh installed, you can use tar or dump.
On NetBSD system:  (need to have root access via ssh, .ssh/authorized_keys?)
# ssh bsdi_machine tar -clf - / > /some/place/backup/root.tar
# ssh bsdi_machine tar -clf - /usr > /some/place/backup/usr.tar

Or from the BSDI system:  (Need .ssh/authorized_keys setup I think )
# tar -clf - / | ssh user@netbsd_machine 'cat > /some/place/backup/root.tar'

Or setup the NetBSD box as an NFS server and just mount it on the BSDI
machine, then tar locally.  e.g.  tar -clf /mnt/some/place/root.tar /

-Andrew