Subject: Re: Apache + php4 + mysql (fwd)
To: Randy Arabie <rrarabie@arabie.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/27/2002 12:46:16
On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 12:57:52PM -0700, Randy Arabie wrote:

> So, I figured out that I don't have mod_php4.so built, and it has a
> separate source directory under pkgsrc...called ap-php4.  I just built
> php4 under the pkgsrc tree, thinking that built the apache module.
>
> When I try to build ap-php4 ig get an error.  It says either I have not
> installed perl (I have), apache was not compiled with DSO support (??),
> or apxs is not in my path (it is).

Did you use pkgsrc to buld perl & apache?

> Now I've got to rebuild Apache with DSO support.
>
> How?

Usually via "make install" in /usr/pkgsrc/www/apache. :-)
You may be running into something that is not yet supported on the Alpha
platform.  Or it is not working in the pkgsrc you installed.

I installed apache / php4 / ap-php4 / mod_ssl fresh from pkgsrc on a new
-current i386 machine just yesterday and it is working.

You might consider updating your pkgsrc to the latest on ftp.netbsd.org.
The following commands will show you if your package was installed with
dynamically loaded modules:
$ pkg_info -L apache | fgrep .so
$ pkg_info -L perl | fgrep .so

> That's my only grip with the pkgsrc method thus far.  I can't seem to
> find any direction for changing compile-time options.
>
> Where do I find that?

Look at packages(7), mk.conf(5), and /usr/pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.defaults.mk.
If there is not already a knob for the change you want to make, you can
just manually edit the package's Makefile and add a CONFIGURE_ARGS+=
statement.

-Andrew